Would you like to be an SGC Governor?
The Governing Board is made up of local residents and business people, parents, and staff, some of whom have a particular link to our local parish church of St John the Divine, Kennington. Together we aim to bring the range of skills and expertise needed to give the strategic leadership, scrutiny and support to the college. We aspire to reflect the multi-cultural community which we serve. Each Governor serves a 4 year term, which may be renewed once.
We are ambitious for our students, our staff and our school.
To ensure we have the right range of skills and experience, strong succession planning and a Governing Board that reflects our community, we are always interested to hear from people who would like to contribute to our important work. If you have the time and talents to help us and want to contribute, or to learn more about what is involved, please do get in touch via email@example.com.
You don’t need to have any previous experience as a governor or a connection with the school, although many of our governors live or work in Lambeth or Southwark. We ask you to support the Christian ethos of the school, recognising you may have a different faith or none.
We are currently looking for new governors with any of the following skills or experience:
- Education - teaching experience and/or knowledge of educational policy and best practice
- Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEND)
- Enrichment and cultural issues, including but not limited to music, dance and the performing arts
- Careers and the world of work
- Business, marketing, finance (separately or together)
- Community engagement and parent engagement
You will join one of our Board Committees (Teaching & Learning; Pastoral; Finance, Premises & Resources) which undertake much of the detailed scrutiny and policy making work at termly meetings, as well as Governing Board which meets five times a year (termly business meetings, a Public Examinations meeting, an annual Strategy day). Meetings are held at school, either before or after business hours.
Governor appointments require a Criminal Records Bureau check. We are committed to the safeguarding and promotion of the welfare of children.
Being a governor is a very rewarding experience. We look forward to hearing from you!
N.B. Please note that you are disqualified from being a governor if you:
- are under 18
- have received a prison sentence of at least three months within the last five years, a sentence of two years or more in the last 20 years or a sentence of five years or more at any time
- have been included in the list of teachers unsuitable to work with children, barred from any regulated activity relating to children or disqualified from working with children
- are the subject of a bankruptcy restrictions, or similar, order
- are disqualified from being a company director
- have been removed from office as a charity trustee.